The state pension is in crisis and the race tracks want more money; but, please tell our State Leaders, DO NOT rip off Kentuckians with gambling.
Gov. Matt Bevin is set to call a Special Session this fall to address the pension crisis. Some politicians and lobbyists have suggested that expanded gambling is the answer for the pension deficit.
Wiser people recognize that an expansion of gambling will damage the population by requiring Kentucky families to be "taxed" with the burden of having to lose money just to fund the pension. Kent Ostrander, executive director of The Family Foundation has said, "We all know that an individual cannot borrow his way out of debt and cannot gamble his way into prosperity."
CLICK ON THE TAKE ACTION Link at the bottom of this page to send an email to your KY state legislators and Gov Bevin.
Also please make two calls
1. Please leave a message for your KY legislators, by calling the Message Line 1-800-372-7181 between 8 AM and 4:30 PM Monday through Friday.
All you have to say is:
"Please tell all the legislators in my county to please VOTE AGAINST ANY expansion of gambling. Copy my message to the LEADERS of the HOUSE and SENATE."
They will take your name and address and get the message to your legislators when they know which county you live in.
2. Call Gov. Bevin 1-502-564-2611 This message line is open from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Eastern Monday through Friday.
Leave this message, "Please act to stop the expansion of gambling thru the horse themed 'slot machines' at race tracks."
(These machines have NEVER been voted upon by the legislature and the court has NOT determined them legal, yet they have been operating for six years, sucking up millions of dollars from Kentucky families.)
Four Truths of Gambling Expansion (abbreviated from The Kentucky Citizen.)
1. The family is targeted. Gambling does not produce wealth, it only makes wealth change hands. All the BILLIONS of dollars that is gambled is just a shift of assets FROM the hands of the family INTO the hands of the gambling industry. The government will get its share simply by taxing the money as it changes hands.
2. Business will lose. Think about it, after all the losses, parents can't afford to take the family out to eat, buy new clothes, purchase new appliances or finance an addition to the house. Other businesses will suffer because money is TAKEN OUT of the economy. And when families go bankrupt, the businesses the family owes loses even more.
3. Government will be corrupted. With millions going into the hands of the gambling industry, who will become the greatest conributor and most influential group in the political process? Look what happened to Nevada, where gambling was legalized one year, and then later on prostitution was legalized to embellish the gamblers "good times". And now Las Vegas has 13 abortion clinics. "Nice" legislators who will reluctantly vote for gambling today will themselves be replace by pro-gambling legislators that will not care one iota about the family. We will not escape the corruption of our values.
4. The Vulnerable will be destroyed. Finances are not the worst costs to families. There will be some citizens, oor in spirit as well as poor in financial assets, whose lives will be totally destroyed -- marriage-damaging financil stress, alcoholism, drug use, child neglect and abuse, spouse neglect and abuse, divorce, depression, suicide, embezzlement, imprisionment and crime (both victim and perpetrator).
Please CLICK ON THE TAKE ACTION Link at the bottom of this page to send an email to your KY state legislators and Gov Bevin.