In addition to tracking and responding to legislative proposals, AKC Government Relations (AKC GR) addresses dog-related regulatory proposals from the U.S. federal government, all 50 states, and the District of Columbia.
Regulations may be issued by federal and state government agencies to carry out and enforce legislation passed by Congress or state legislatures. These agencies perform different functions, including rulemaking. The rules, called regulations, are designed to guide those regulated by the agency. Regulations also help ensure that laws are applied fairly and uniformly.
The majority of regulatory proposals tracked by AKC Government Relations concern land use/hunting regulations and those governing the practice of veterinary medicine. AKC GR will continue to provide alerts and comments on regulatory proposals as they are introduced.
Have comments or questions regarding regulations? Contact AKC Government Relations at (919) 816-3720 or email@example.com.
Regulatory Alerts and Updates:
- CO Regulatory Info: PACFA Rules to Include Disclosure Requirements for Pet Stores, Other Licensees (March 2022)
- Ohio Regulations: Amendments to Rules Impacting High Volume Breeders, Pet Stores, and Dog Brokers Proposed (March 2022)
- Regulatory Info: FDA Looking for Public Input on Antimicrobial Use Practices in Companion Animals (February 2022)
- NC Proposes Updated Regulations for Shelters, Boarding Kennels, Pet Shops, and Dealers (December 2021)
- Maine Info: State Agency Proposing Amendments to Regulations for Kennels, Shelters, Pet Stores (September 2021)
- USDA APHIS Establishes Online Application Process (September 2021)
- Regulatory Info: USDA Develops Proposed Framework for Better Surveillance of and Responses to Emerging Zoonotic Diseases (August 2021)
- USDA APHIS Info: Concerns over African Swine Fever Prompts Order Restricting Imports of Dogs for Resale (August 2021)
- Colorado Regulatory Info: New Education Requirements Proposed for PACFA and Breeder Licensees (July 2021)
- Breaking News: CDC To Suspend Importation of Dogs from Countries Classified as High Risk for Rabies (June 2021)
- Maine Executive Order Reinstates Dog Licensing Requirements (February 2021)
- USDA APHIS Posts Annual Enforcement Data (January 2021)
- Washington: Fish and Wildlife Proposes Rules to Create Nonlethal Enforcement Program Using Canines (November 2020)
- Texas Info: Legislature Required Updates to State-Licensed Dog Breeders Rules Proposed (October 2020)
- TX Update: Sunset Commission Still Accepting Comments on Elimination of Ineffective and Costly Licensed Breeders Program (September 2020)
- Minnesota Regulatory Info: Board of Animal Health Creates New Dog Import Regulations to Help Prevent African Swine Fever (September 2020)
- AKC Comments on Texas Sunset Advisory Commission’s Recommendation to Eliminate Licensed Breeders Program (August 2020)
- TX Action Alert: Contact Sunset Commission, Urge Adoption of Recommendation to Eliminate Ineffective and Costly Licensed Breeders Program. (August 2020)
- Wisconsin Regulations Info: Ag. Department Seeking Fee Increases for Licensed Dog Sellers (July 2020)
- Comments by the American Kennel Club on Connecticut's Proposed Regulations for Kennels, Pet Shops, Grooming Facilities, Training Facilities, Animal Importers, and Animal Shelters. (June 2020)
- USDA APHIS Announces Updates To Animal Welfare Act Regulations Impacting USDA Breeder Licensees (May 2020)
- Connecticut: Support Proposed Regulations that Will Regulate Animal Shelters, Other Facilities (May 2020)
- NC Update: Wildlife Management to Recommend Commission Not Move Forward with Emergency Rule (May 2020)
- RI: Proposed Amendments to Rules for Dogs Temporarily Imported for Shows Address AKC, Clubs Concerns (April 2020)
- AKC Comments on U.S. Department of Transportation Proposal to Redefine “Service Animal” (April 2020)
- North Carolina Info: Wildlife Resources Commission Proposes Amendments to Dog Training and Field Trials Rule (April 2020)
- TSA Provides Guidance on Explosive Detection Canines (March 2020)
- U.S. Department of Transportation Proposes New Rules to Define Service Dogs for the Purpose of Air Travel (January 2020)
- Proposed Regulations to Clarify Requirements for Out-of-State Dogs Entering Rhode Island for Shows (January 2020)
- Federal Update: Congress Passes Appropriations Bill With Directive To Publish Personally-Identifiable Data of USDA Breeder Licensees (December 2019)
- AKC’s Comments to USDA Regarding Modified Records Policy (December 2019)
- USDA APHIS To Modify Records Policy (October 2019)
- New Hunting Regulations Issued by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (September 2019)
- USDA APHIS Releases 2018 Impact Report (August 2019)
- U.S. Department of Transportation Clarifies the Use of Emotional Support Animals on Flights (August 2019)
- PA - Temporary Designation of Canine Brucellosis as Dangerous Transmissible Disease Reissued (July 2019)
- Update: Proposed Changes to USDA Pet Breeder/Dealer Licensing Requirements: Now Due June 5 (May 2019)
- USDA Updates: Online Licensing Tool Introduced; Proposed Rule Comment Period Open Through May 21 (April 2019)
- Massachusetts Residents: New Regulations for Rescues, Pet Stores Proposed – Share Your Thoughts (April 2019)
- AKC Urges Ohio Department of Agriculture to Cease New, Overly-Broad Interpretation of “Pet Store” Definition (February 2019)
- National Association of Biomedical Research Files Complaint with U.S. Department of Transportation (September 2018)
- USDA Animal Care Division Presents Initiative To Strengthen Relationships With Licensees’ Attending Veterinarians (August 2018)
- New USDA Rule Broadens Thresholds for De Minimis Activity and Exemptions From AWA Licensing (June 2018)
- APHIS Launches Webpage for Frequently Requested Records (February 2018)
- USDA Seeks Public Input on Recognizing Third Party Inspections (December 2017)
- USDA APHIS EXTENDS COMMENT PERIOD (October 2017)
- Reminder: USDA-APHIS Seeks Public Input on Potential Changes to AWA Licensing Requirements (September 2017)
- USDA Updates Public Search Tool (August 2017)
- USDA Announces Updates to Inspection Guide (June 2017)
- APHIS Posts Additional Information Regarding Website Updates Involving AWA Licensee Information (February 2017)
- APHIS Updates Policies on Public Information (February 2017)
Thanks for trying to take action! There’s no need to act on this campaign because either your elected officials were not included or there’s currently a vacancy in your district.
Thanks for trying to take action! Unfortunately, we could not send your message because:
None of the officials targeted in this campaign accept the type of communication chosen by your organization.
No further action is needed at this time. Thank you again.
Your message has not been sent!
Your officials require the following additional information to be submitted in order for this message to be delivered to them. The prefix you selected is not accepted by at least one of your legislators. Please choose one of the following prefixes: