Tell Your Rep to Support Bike Equity!
Last year, the League released a report - "The New Majority: Pedaling Toward Equity" - that highlighted the prevailing disparities in safe biking and walking in low-income and communities of color nationwide.
Now, a bi-partisan bill in Congress, introduced by Rep. Albio Sires (D-NJ), would take steps to advance equity for bicyclists and pedestrians, and boost funding for bike/ped projects low-income communities.
Take action now - tell your member of Congress to support H.R. 3978!
The New Opportunities for Bicycle and Pedestrian Infrastructure Financing Act of 2014 (NOBPIFA) will allow communities to take advantage of low-cost financing for projects that make streets and sidewalks safer for all users through a new federal credit assistance program that would direct millions specifically for low-income communities.
This innovative bill:
- Creates a low-interest long-term loan program for communities to build biking and walking networks.
- 25% of the funding must be spent in low income communities
- The funding, $11 million, is a set aside from the $1 billion dollar TIFIA loan program funded in MAP-21.
- Offers a new tool for Mayors and local governments to finance needed transportation infrastructure.
- And doesn't add any new costs to the transportation bill, or to the federal budget.
If you believe bicycling should be safe for everyone, tell your Representative to support H.R. 3978 today!
Your message has not been sent for one of the following reasons:
1. You are not a constituent of the officials targeted in this campaign, and therefore you do not need to take action.
2. The legislative seat that has been targeted is vacant at this time. The seat will be filled after the next scheduled election.
Your message has not been sent for the following reason:
None of the officials targeted in this campaign accept the type of communication chosen by your organization.
No further action is needed at this time. Thank you again.
Your code has been sent!
Please do not close this window. Minimize the window instead. You will need to come back to this window to enter your code.
We have sent an email to ... with a verification code. If you do not see it within the next five minutes, please check your spam/junk mail folder.
If you did not receive your verification email, click cancel and check that you entered your email address correctly.
Multiple records matched with your information. Please identify your record.
Some of your officials require the following additional information to be submitted in order for this message to be delivered to them. The prefix you selected is not accepted by one of your legislators.