The president's response to the on-going situation at the US/MX border is anything but humanitarian. They are spending billions of dollars on immigration deterrence, detention, and deportation. We cannot militarize our way to a compassionate immigration system. Congress must provide a meaningful humanitarian response that addresses the root causes of displacement and offers protection to those seeking safety.
Write to your Members of Congress today to let them know they should reduce funding for immigration detention, deportation, and border militarization. They must also hold the administration accountable for its abusive practices.
Any border funding package passed by Congress must include:
- Real humanitarian funding for medical, translation, and legal services
- Support for local organizations providing care and accompaniment
- Restrictions on how DHS is allowed to spend the money.
Any border funding package passed by Congress must not include:
- More enforcement funding for CBP or ICE
- More money for military presence on the border
- Funding for CBP processing facilities that could turn into long-term detention centers.