Do No Harm Act
H.R. 1378, S. TBA – 117th Congress
Position: Support / Oppose / Neutral
This bill would:
- Amend and eviscerate the Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993.
- Force healthcare professionals to participate in medical procedures, prescriptions and referrals that they consider ethically and morally repugnant. As legal expert Kenneth Craycraft has noted, the bill would "compel a Catholic physician to prescribe contraceptives or perform abortions if she participates in federal or state reimbursement programs. And it would require a parochial school that receives state grants, for example, to employ persons in open same-sex relationships as teachers or even ministers."
- Deny government funding to any organization that "discriminates" by declining to participate in morally controversial practices such as abortion, gender transitioning, same-sex marriages or anything else deemed by the government as required.
Bill text excerpts:
*No religious freedom: "if the exemption would impose the religious views, habits, or practices of one party upon another."
* Doctors compelled to comply: with "access to, information about, referrals for, provision of, or coverage for, any health care item or service."
* Objectors denied funding for: "government contract, grant, cooperative agreement, or other award."
Freedom2Care action page: https://www.votervoice.net/F2C/Bills