JFI Action Alert to Senate on Further COVID-19 Relief Actions
Concerted efforts by the American people, elected leaders, and health professionals nationwide have helped to mitigate the impact of COVID-19 in the United States. Nonetheless, COVID-19 continues to devastate our nation’s health and economic well-being. While thankfully Congress and the President have moved forward on legislation to mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 global pandemic in the U.S., there are still many people who have been left out of safety and welfare. We must do more to ensure that no one is left behind and that everyone is safe. As Catholics, we are called to be a Church for all God’s children. We affirm the inherent dignity of every person and our duty as Christians to work for the common good of all God’s people during this pandemic, while paying particular attention to the most vulnerable. We note the House’s efforts to move additional support to the country through the HEROES Act and we now urge the Senate to move forward with more COVID-19 assistance.
We urge the Senate to move forward with another COVID-19 relief package this summer. In addition, in any future COVID-19 Relief Package, we urge Senators to:
1) Automatically extend work authorization and visa renewal deadlines for refugees and immigrants who are providing economic and recovery assistance to our country (particularly DACA recipients, TPS holders and essential workers);
2) Provide no-cost COVID-19 testing and treatment for all, regardless of immigration status as this is a public safety issue;
3) Ensure that many hardworking struggling immigrant and refugee populations are eligible for stimulus payments;
4) Halt the implementation of the new public charge rules; and
5) Appropriate $642 million in supplemental funding for the Office of Refugee Resettlement to care for vulnerable migrant populations living in the United States.
Learn more about COVID-19 migration impact on our JFI COVID-19 Resource Page.
TAKE ACTION! Please send the following message to your U.S. Senators:
As a Catholic person of faith, I believe in protecting the God-given dignity of every human being and pursuing the common good during this global health emergency. Our teaching and the words of Jesus call us in this time of global pandemic to care in a special way for the most at-risk persons, including the unborn, the sick, children, refugees and immigrants and the elderly. Please move forward with another COVID-19 relief package this summer.
We urge the Senate to pass another COVID-19 Relief Package, which:
1) Automatically extends work authorization and visa renewal deadlines for refugees and immigrants who are providing economic and recovery assistance to our country (particularly DACA recipients, TPS holders and essential workers);
2) Provides COVID-19 testing and treatment for all, including immigrant communities; ensure that emergency Medicaid covers testing and treatment;
3) Ensures that tax-paying immigrant and refugee populations are eligible for stimulus payments, including individuals who file taxes with an ITIN;
4) Halts the implementation of the new public charge rules during the COVID-19 crisis;
5) Appropriates $642 million in supplemental funding for the Office of Refugee Resettlement for refugees living in the United States.
I respectfully urge you to consider the above recommendations. Know you are in my thoughts and prayers at this critical moment in our nation’s history.