Great news The BEST Act (H.R. 1737, S.680) has been reintroduced!
This is an opportunity to use the skills and contacts you developed during Language Advocacy Days 2021 last month.
Please reach back out via email to the staffers with whom you met at LAD and tell them:
- The BEST Act was just reintroduced in both the House (H.R.1737) and the Senate (S.680) and the bill’s lead sponsors are very interested in attracting co-sponsors.
- The BEST Act’s focus is on helping states establish Seal of Biliteracy programs in every state (8 states still have not formally established them) and to provide funds to equitably implement these programs. In particular, the Act will subsidize the costs of Seal of Biliteracy exams for low income and EL students, thereby ensuring that all students have an opportunity to obtain a Seal of Biliteracy on their high school transcripts. This will demonstrate to institutions of higher education and employers that these students have achieved proficiency in at least one other language and thus possess an important and highly marketable skill.
- If you have a specific story about the value of Seals of Biliteracy in your school, district or state, please provide that information as well.
- To sign-on as a BEST Act co-sponsor, contact:
- In the House, David Schutt of Rep. Julia Brownley’s office – David.Schutt@mail.house.gov
- In the Senate, Maile Symonds of Sen. Brian Schatz’s office – Maile_Symonds@schatz.senate.gov
We will keep you abreast of key developments on The BEST Act, including any hearings, mark-up or votes.
Thank you for your advocacy efforts!