Last Wednesday, the Texas State Senate approved wide-encompassing legislation to rethink, reform, and secure future elections in our state!
This is excellent news, and represents the latest positive development in the ongoing nationwide battle to ensure our elections are conducted fairly, freely, and with the proper protections in place to prevent fraud.
And now, we need YOU to contact your Texas House Member and ask them to approve this bill and send it to Governor Abbott's desk!
You can reach your State House Member in one easy step using this simple contact form (see right) that we're making available here on LifeSite's Action Center.
With one click, your message is sent directly to her office without having to look up any contact details.
The bill in question, Senate Bill (SB) 1, includes a number of provisions to reform the administration of future Texas elections. Among them are the following:
- Mandatory video recording of all vote tallying activities, including a requirement that all counties with a population higher than 100,000 provide a livestream option for its residents
- A new requirement that partisan/party poll watchers be given access to polling places on Election Day in order observe the tallying of votes and other administrative activities; failure to provide such accessibility would result in criminal charges
- A new rule that requires individuals who apply for an absentee/mail-in ballot to include either the last four digits of their Social Security number or their driver's license number on both their application and ballot envelope
- A ban on unlimited, 24-hour (or "overnight") voting, mandating polls be open for at least nine hours between 6am and 9pm
- A ban on "drive-thru" voting with exceptions for disabled individuals
As you may already be aware, the Texas Legislature had already adjourned for the 2021 legislative session earlier this summer, but a special 30-day session was called for the purpose of debating and, hopefully, passing comprehensive election integrity legislation.
But, as is all too often the case, some members of the Legislature saw this as a perfect opportunity to politicize the matter at hand and stage a childish publicity stunt rather than returning to Austin to do the job they were elected to do.
That's exactly what happened when Democrat members of the State Legislature -- both from the Texas House and Senate -- FLED the state of Texas on privately chartered planes to Washington, DC in an effort to deny Republicans the legislative quorum needed to pass new legislation.
But this effort to effectively paralyze the Texas Legislature and block any progress on the issue of election integrity has, thus far, failed: The State Senate still managed the reach the required two-thirds majority quorum to vote on (and ultimately pass) SB 1, and send it off to the House for further review and eventual approval.
But Democrats from the State Legislature are still playing games. They know that SB 1 has enough support to become the law of the land very soon, and they're ready to sink to new lows to hold up the process and leave the special legislative session in limbo in order to score a political victory.
That's right: They're holding YOUR vote and the future of Texas' elections hostage to appease their radical base.
That's why we need your help as soon as possible: Can we count on you to contact your State House Member, and implore them to do everything in their power to approve SB 1 and protect our elections?
Please take a few minutes to reach out to your district's member of the Texas House of Representatives today, and let them know that you support SB 1, and hope they'll do everything in their power to secure our elections and protect our votes under state law.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Learn more about SB 1 and read its full text HERE: https://legiscan.com/TX/bill/SB1/2021/X1
**Photo Credit: Shutterstock