- Star Grassroots Advocates
- On January 27, PAEA hosted a virtual meeting with the 2022 Student Health Policy Fellowship cohort to discuss progress they have made on their community-based advocacy projects, share successes and best practices, and collectively brainstorm solutions to challenges. Congratulations to the fellows for all the promising developments on their projects, and we look forward to learning more throughout the year!
- Advancing PAEA’s Advocacy Agenda
- Throughout 2023, PAEA’s Government Relations team will be engaging with the offices of all freshmen members of Congress to increase awareness of the policy priorities of Association members and build relationships for ongoing collaboration.
- On January 17, PAEA participated in an NCCPA Health Foundation Mental Health Steering Committee meeting to provide an update on the Association’s policy work pertaining to mental/behavioral health.
- Health Care News in Washington
- On January 11, the Biden administration renewed the COVID-19 public health emergency for the last time per a January 30 White House announcement. The COVID-19 public health emergency, which has been in place since January 2020, is set to end on May 11.
- Throughout the month of January, Congress has been working on finalizing committee assignments for the new session. This work has resulted in the following assignments for key committees of jurisdiction over PAEA’s legislative agenda:
- Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-NC) will serve as chair of the Education and the Workforce Committee.
- Rep. Bobby Scott (D-VA) will serve as ranking member of the Education and the Workforce Committee.
- Rep. Robert Aderholt (R-AL) will serve as chair of the Labor/HHS/Education Subcommittee.
- Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) will serve as ranking member of the Labor/HHS/Education Subcommittee.
- Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) will serve as chair of the Energy & Commerce Committee.
- Rep. Frank Pallone (D-NJ) will serve as ranking member of the Energy & Commerce Committee.
- Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) will serve as chair of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee.
- Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA) will serve as ranking member of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee.
- Opportunities for Action
- On January 31, PAEA released its new Advocacy Curriculum. The curriculum is a comprehensive collection of resources that support PA faculty in teaching students how to improve their leadership skills and become successful advocates for PA education and the profession. Check out the announcement to learn more and visit PAEA’s Advocacy Curriculum webpage to start educating students about policy and advocacy at your PA program!