We are in the midst of a global crisis and are in need of immediate action. The Office of Public Witness has joined with leading faith and advocacy organizations calling upon Congress to address the coronavirus pandemic. Congress recently passed an $8 billion package coronavirus response package. However, that legislation is not enough.
Negotiations are going on right now in Congress. Your senators and representatives need to hear from you. We need legislation that will protect the most vulnerable populations as the coronavirus pandemic takes hold.
We are calling on Congress to:
- Ensure access and affordable testing and treatment for the coronavirus, regardless of income, location, disability, or immigration status.
- Ensure people have the support they need to take sick leave and care for family members without risking their jobs or their paychecks.
- Ensure low-income workers and individuals facing hardship have the assistance they need to put food on the table and provide for their families.
- Give special care and attention to individuals at increased risk of infection, including individuals in prison, in detention, in long-term care facilities, and experiencing homelessness.
- Focus economic stimulus measures on low-income and vulnerable communities. Such policies have the most substantial economic impact.
- Ensure that emergency assistance for low-wage workers and vulnerable individuals comes before any bailouts for major industries and businesses.
- Oppose any efforts to use the pandemic as an excuse to further militarize the border or exacerbate immigration deportation and detention.
The House of Representatives is moving forward with a bill, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, which includes many of these priorities. Congress must hear the loud voice of constituents saying we need these protections now!
Tell your members of Congress to support the House coronavirus bill NOW!
Here’s a summary of the House bill, H.R. 6201, Families First Coronavirus Response Act.