Therapy Cap Repeal Introduced
On February 1, the bipartisan "Medicare Access to Rehabilitation Services Act" was reintroduced in both the House and the Senate. The House bill (H.R.807) is sponsored by Representatives Erik Paulsen (R-MN), Ron Kind (D-WI), Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), and Doris Matsui (D-CA); 43 other members of the House of Representatives joined them as original cosponsors. Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD) is once again leading the bill (S.253) in the Senate. Senators Susan Collins (R-ME), Bob Casey (D-PA), and Dean Heller (R-NV) joined him as original cosponsors of the Senate bill.
H.R.807/S.253 seeks to permanently repeal and replace the $1,980/year cap imposed on physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech-language pathology services. In order to achieve a repeal of the therapy cap, extend the exceptions mechanism, or maintain the manual medical review process, corrective legislation must be passed before each provision expires on December 31, 2017.
THIS CONGRESS: Representatives who have now cosponsored H.R. 807 are listed here. Senators who have cosponsored S.253 are listed here. If your legislator is on one of these lists, please thank them for their support of these bills.
2016 CONGRESS: You can find Representatives who cosponsored H.R.775, last year's repeal bill here. You can find Senators who cosponsored the Senate version, S.539, in 2016 here. If your legislator is not on the list above, but is on a list for 2016, please ask them to renew their support in 2017 by cosponsoring H.R.807/S.253.
To do so, call your representative and ask for the health legislative assistant with this message:
- Thank you for representing me and my patients in Congress.
- Either thank the Member, or request the legislative staff recommend that their legislator cosponsor (see which one above) the Medicare Access to Rehabilitation Services Act (HR 807/ S 253) because of the positive impact the provisions in the bill have on the therapy profession and the millions of elderly who rely on rehabilitative services to live a quality life.
- The deadline is fast approaching and now is the time to fix this policy which arbitrarily limits care and imposes a severe and unfair hardship on Medicare beneficiaries.
Together we can make a difference.
Your message has not been sent for one of the following reasons:
1. You are not a constituent of the officials targeted, and therefore you do not need to take action.
2. The legislative seat that has been targeted is vacant at this time. The seat will be filled after the next scheduled election.
Your message has not been sent for the following reason:
None of the officials targeted in this campaign accept the type of communication chosen by your organization.
No further action is needed at this time. Thank you again.
Your code has been sent!
Please do not close this window. Minimize the window instead. You will need to come back to this window to enter your code.
We have sent an email to ... with a verification code. If you do not see it within the next five minutes, please check your spam/junk mail folder.
If you did not receive your verification email, click cancel and check that you entered your email address correctly.
Some of your officials require the following additional information to be submitted in order for this message to be delivered to them. The prefix you selected is not accepted by one of your legislators.