Across the United States, thousands of English language teachers face the difficult task of paying off student loans. As the student debt crisis continues to grow, and average teacher salaries remain low – especially for new teachers out of college – student loan relief is sorely needed.
The Supporting Providers of English Language Learning (SPELL) Act offers such relief by providing increased amounts of student loan forgiveness to English language teachers. Furthermore, this bill denotes English language teachers as highly valued educators by putting them on the same level as math, science, and special education teachers who are currently eligible for increased student debt forgiveness amounts.
TESOL International Association is asking you to take action today! Tell Congress to pass the SPELL Act and provide much-needed financial relief to English language teachers by sending e-mails, Tweets, and sharing this call-to-action with your friends and colleagues!
To Take Action:
1. Enter your name and address at the bottom of this page; this customizes the message so that it automatically reflects whether or not your members of Congress have co-sponsored this bill.
2. Review the text of each message that will be sent to your members of Congress, and personalize the message if you'd like.
3. Click "Send Message" to send all of the messages at once.
4. If you have a Twitter account, click the Twitter icon at the confirmation page to send a Tweet to your members of Congress.
5. Share this campaign with your friends and colleagues on Facebook, Twitter, and/or LinkedIn by using the links provided on the confirmation page!