This bill would:
- prohibit and provide penalties for taking minors across State lines in circumvention of laws requiring the involvement of parents in abortion decisions;
- provide for exceptions in the cases of life-endangering conditions; and
- not prosecute transported minors for violating the law.
Bill text excerpts
* Penalty: "…whoever knowingly transports a minor across a State line, with the intent that the minor obtain an abortion, and thereby in fact abridges the right of a parent of the minor under a law requiring parental involvement in a minor’s abortion decision, in force in the State in which the minor resides, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both."
* Exception: "The prohibition under subsection (a) shall not apply if the abortion is necessary to save the life of the minor because her life is endangered by a physical disorder, physical injury, or physical illness, including a life endangering physical condition caused by or arising from the pregnancy itself."
* Exemption: "A minor transported in violation of this section, and any parent of that minor, may not be prosecuted or sued for a violation of this section…."
Freedom2Care action page: https://www.votervoice.net/F2C/Bills