Early this year, all eyes have been on dramatic efforts in New York and Virginia to expand abortion right up to the moment a child is being born. The radical left and their supporters in the Democratic Party aren't even pretending any longer to oppose infanticide.
Here in Massachusetts, as part of this same national push, pro-abortion zealots have filed their own legislation to dramatically increase abortions. Sadly, while MA law does ban abortion after 24 weeks, the ban is a very weak one with fewer impediments than other states. So what new horror are they demanding?
The first step: eliminate any parental involvement of any kind for children looking to receive an abortion.
Called the Roe Act, this legislation would:
- Wipe out all parental involvement - parents would not need to be notified, and underage girls would no longer be required to go to court to get an abortion without the permission of their parents
- Gives a doctor complete discretion on performance of abortions - Medical judgment "may be exercised in the light of all factors-physical, emotional, psychological, familial, and the person's age-relevant to the well-being of the patient." This strips away any final hurdle to abortion at any stage of the baby's development, for any reason.
- Removes any requirement to save the life of the child during or after the abortion. So if a baby is accidentally born during a late term procedure, it can still be killed.
- Allows abortions to be performed anywhere-removing any kind of requirement that they be performed in a hospital. Back-alley abortions will now be legal and celebrated by the left-regardless of the safety of the mother. Gone are the days when Democrats claimed they wanted abortion to be safe, legal, and rare. Now, it's anything goes.
- Allows "Healthy Start" funds to be used to pay for abortions on middle-class women that do not have Medicaid/Masshealth. Healthy Start is a wellness program designed to assist pregnant women and their babies to ensure healthy moms and kids. In a sick twist, funds could be taken from them to fund abortions for women not on public assistance.
Even in "liberal" Massachusetts, the average person does not want to legalize infanticide or allow 11 year old girls to get abortions without any parental involvement.
Please take 2 minutes to fill in your email and voting address to use our user-friendly system to contact your elected officials. Customize this message if you like. Please share this page with friends and ask them to email their legislators as well.