Zonta International is a global organization of individuals dedicated to empowering women worldwide through service and advocacy. The Zonta USA Advocacy Action Center is a tool for our members in the United States and other individuals who share our commitment to gender equality to take action to improve the lives of women and girls. With your help, we can make a difference. In addition to the actions below, click here to support our joint efforts with UNICEF USA to end child marriage in the United States.
Pay inequity not only affects women; it affects children and families and our economy. The bipartisan Paycheck Fairness Act will:
- Strengthen the Equal Pay Act of 1963.
- Help eliminate the gender wage gap.
- Guarantee that women can challenge pay discrimination and hold employers accountable.
- End the practice of pay secrecy.
- Strengthen the available remedies for wronged employees.
- Ban employers from seeking salary history, so they have one less false justification for underpaying women and people of color.
Reintroduced in the House of Representatives by Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT), the Paycheck Fairness Act passed the House on April 15. It was introduced by Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) in the Senate on February 3 and is still pending. Please use our pre-drafted letters to urge your senators to co-sponsor and support S. 205. If they have already sponsored or co-sponsored the bill, you can send a message of thanks.
Click here to see an advocacy reporting map on this action.