Zonta International is a global organization of individuals dedicated to empowering women worldwide through service and advocacy. The Zonta USA Advocacy Action Center is a tool for our members in the United States and other individuals who share our commitment to gender equality to take action to improve the lives of women and girls. With your help, we can make a difference. In addition to the actions below, click here to support our joint efforts with UNICEF USA to end child marriage in the United States.
Women play a crucial role as leaders in their communities, mothers in their families, and vital members of their societies and nation. Women have an important role in the stabilization of any society. The crisis in Afghanistan is at a critical point for women and girls, and we urge President Joe Biden and his administration to take the following actions:
- Suspend bureaucratic requirements for visas and loosen eligibility requirements.
- Greatly expand resources for resettling refugees in the U.S.
- Support those women who stay behind in order to continue peace-building efforts.
- Ensure that aid workers have access to those needing services.
- Hold the Taliban accountable for any violations of promises they've made to protect the rights of women and insist that Afghanistan women's voices are not silenced.
- Afford the same services to Afghanistan women translators who come to the US that our veterans are given.
- Consult with women leaders in Afghanistan and those who are refugees in other countries to determine the best courses of action to empower women according to their culture.
The United States has a responsibility to all the women and girls in Afghanistan to see that their rights are not jeopardized by the administration’s decision to withdraw troops from the country. Please use our pre-drafted letters to urge President Biden to take immediate action and ask your senators and representative to contact the president about protecting these vulnerable women and girls.