Across the United States, English learners participate in bilingual or dual language immersion programs. Due to a lack of funding, however, many of these programs are not available to all English learners or are underfunded.
In an effort to provide more funding for bilingual education programs serving English learners, the SYLLABLE Act was introduced in Congress. This bill will provide grant funding for pre-K-5 programming that improves the bilingual and biliteracy skills of children from low-income communities, including English learners.
TESOL International Association is asking you to take action today! Tell Congress to support English language teacher preparation by sending e-mails, Tweets, and sharing this call-to-action with your friends and colleagues!
1. Enter your name and address at the bottom of this page and click "Review Your Message;" this automatically customizes your messages to reflect if your representatives have co-sponsored the bill.
2. Review the text of each message that will be sent to your members of Congress, and personalize the message if you'd like.
3. Click "Send Message" to send all of the messages at once.
4. If you have a Twitter account, click the Twitter icon at the confirmation page to send a Tweet to your members of Congress.
5. Share this campaign with your friends and colleagues on Facebook, Twitter, and/or LinkedIn by using the links provided on the confirmation page!